Tuesday, February 16, 2010

San Fran: Day 5 and beyond...

Last day! Glenda and I were getting worn out by this point. We walked probably 7 miles a day, ate next to nothing and barely got any sleep. That City Pass keeps you busy! It was pretty much the backbone of the trip since we didn't plan anything out in advance.

The last day we woke up somewhat early and went to breakfast at Dottie's True Blue Cafe. It's a somewhat well-known restaurant in San Fran. It's a tiny place and we had to wait in a line that went out onto the sidewalk. The food was super amazing, though.

Here are some pretty houses:

And a little market thing going on sort of near where we stayed that last night:

The last day we did the Museum of Modern Art.

The picture of this isn't great, but this was pretty cool. And each individual picture was pretty nice:
RIP Michael Jackson:I don't normally like things like this, but this struck me. Again, the picture doesn't do it justice. It felt almost like a landscape.
So much cooler than an iPhone:


A Calder:

Amazing!! I *heart* Magritte:


Then Glenda and I pondered all the great art.


And found Waldo:

The rooftop sculpture garden had more of these fat-bottomed guys:


Then as our last hurrah in San Francisco, we walked the Golden Gate Bridge. The whole thing, out and back. It was raining a little and loud from the cars zooming by.

And there were lots of emergency crisis phone lines with little plaques saying something like "Jumping off the bridge is fatal and tragic. There is hope."

View from the bridge:


My shuttle came to pick me up at 8:30 to take me to the airport. I got to the airport to find out my flight was canceled due to bad weather. I ended up staying one more night at a Raddison, for $60. Super nice room, even though I didn't get much sleep.

I had to get up at 6am to get back to the airport. Got to Chicago for my change-over. Got delayed another hour when the plane was late getting in, and then two de-icings on our plane. Finally got to Minneapolis at about 9 pm. Waited around for the 9:45 shuttle back to Wisconsin. Got home about midnight. Loooooong day. Long weekend. Why aren't vacations relaxing? I had a lot of fun, but my next vacation is going to be sitting on a beach somewhere reading a book!

1 comment:

  1. dude, it sounds like an awesome weekend break! we have a good friend in san fran who keeps saying we should visit but it's a bit far for just a weekend...

    ReplyDelete